Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hating the Local Grocery

I need to go. I have a menu all made for the week, and all the ingredients listed in aisle order, and yet I sit here, putting it off, like I do every week. What is it about the store that I dislike so much? Is it the people who block the aisles while talking to someone they haven't seen since, oh, say, last night? Is it the kids running wild thru the store? Maybe it's the moms who put their sticky little darling with dirty shoes, and wet pull-ups in the part of the buggy where I put the food that feeds my family. It could be that the only grocery store in a 10 mile radius is usually either out of the advertised specials or don't carry them in the first place, since the ads cover all their stores in a huge area. I don't even want to get into their inability to carry items common in today's recipes: arugula, sea salt, creme fraiche, grape tomatoes that are fresh enough to not have wrinkled skin, a peach that doesn't rot in two days, fresh herbs, a decent piece of meat....I could go on but I'd probably just burst a blood vessel in my head as my blood pressure climbs higher and higher as I put off the trip. I'm a small town girl with NYC fresh market dreams, and only a lousy p.o.s. Price Chopper in view.

No comments:

Post a Comment